Anu Vaidyanathan is the first Asian, male or female, to have competed, finished the Ultraman Canada triathlon which has 10km swim, 420km bike and an 84.4km run, being the youngest finisher that year, placed 6th.
She backed this up with Ironman Canada, three weeks later, becoming the only athlete to do so in the history of the race.
Unbelievable, Yess . . but True !!
These endurance tests are the ones which most accomplished sportsmen shiver at . . Anuvaidyanathan finished and won in golden colours.When she was studying at the undergraduate school in Purdue University in the US, to be fit & healthy she began running. Vaidyanathan described it as a “natural way to beat the stress” that came with pursuing a tough college programme. But, one thing led to another . . She started to love running, cycling and sports. She started participated in triathlon events slowly !!
Then she started doing the impossible . . for introduction, a Triathlon is an arduous sport involving swimming, cycling and running. Anu specializes in the half- Ironman (1.9K swim, 90K bike, 21.2K run) Ironman length (3.8K swim, 180K bike, 42.2K run) events, which are amongst the most difficult, single-day endurance events in the world.
Her records include :
- Anu finished her first Ironman length event in 2006, winning 1st position in her age-group at the Canadian Iron Distance event in Ottawa, Canada !!
- She then went on to finish the Montreal Marathon the following weekend just as a continuation . .
- Never willing to rest on past laurels, the latest being a 545 mile ride over seven days in across the length of California !!
- Having competed all over the world, Anu Vaidyanathan is also the only Indian triathlete to have qualified for the 70.3 Half-Ironman World Championship.
Adventure and more !!
- Besides being an award-winning athlete, Anu is an entrepreneur, a sought-after speaker at forums on Sport, Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Leadership.
- She is the Founder of PatNMarks, an Intellectual Property Consulting Firm.
- Anu received her PhD in Electrical Engineering at UC Canterbury setting the Department and University record in 26 months, shortly after her Ultraman placing.
- She has been affiliated with both the Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar and the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad teaching courses in Computer Architecture, Innovation and Business Policy.
Being regularly featured in some of the world’s best print and television media in Sport, Lifestyle, Women’s and Business segments including Sports Illustrated, Marie Claire, Triathlete Magazine, Huffington Post, The Wall Street Journal, The Hindustan Times, The Hindu, The Times of India, NDTV, CNN and prominent radio channels, Anu is also a new mom and an author, with her first book on sport. Dr. Vaidyanathan has addressed several organizations, including Fortune 100 companies, Sporting Teams, Universities and Schools.
how many can have such a track record ? ?